Book Review: Gods of Risk (The Expanse #2.5) by James S.A. Corey

Gods of Risk by James S.A. Corey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Publisher:  Orbit


Summary:  As tension between Mars and Earth mounts, and terrorism plagues the Martian city of Londres Nova, sixteen-year-old David Draper is fighting his own lonely war. A gifted chemist vying for a place at the university, David leads a secret life as a manufacturer for a ruthless drug dealer. When his friend Leelee goes missing, leaving signs of the dealer's involvement, David takes it upon himself to save her. But first he must shake his aunt Bobbie Draper, an ex-marine who has been set adrift in her own life after a mysterious series of events nobody is talking about. Set in the hard-scrabble solar system of Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, Chemistry deepens James S. A. Corey's acclaimed Expanse series. 



I began reading The Expanse series when I saw promos for the television show & I loved it! I didn't want to rip through the entire book series as I know the source material exceeds the show but as the show will be returning soon, I figured reading a couple more wouldn't hurt. Gods of Risk was the next on my list & while it's a novella, I think it was a worthy entry in the series. My favorite aspect of The Expanse universe is what's going on politically and socially so I quite enjoyed this look in at Mars on a micro level with Bobbie's nephew, David. I won't spoil the details but let's just say he's good at chemistry and not too attendant to the news of the conflict between Mars and Earth. He rang true as a fifteen year old from beginning to end. I liked getting a look at the rest of Bobbie's family and while neither they nor she are the main story here, it was enough to also give more of a sense of her life and what she was going through since Book 2. LeeLee was such a thin character that she never came across as worth all the angst spent on her; I don't know if she was rendered that way on purpose but she was the weakest part of the story though she was a major catalyst. I'd recommend this to fans of the series. It's a good little detour in The Expanse universe.




No comments