Book Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman



These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publisher: Disney Hyperion


Summary:  Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive – alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth. 

The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.





This is the book I chose to kick off my 2015 reading excursion. This had been sitting on my TBR list for too long & the cover kept calling me so I finally answered. I liked it. 3.5 stars worth of liking. The Icarus founding leaving Lilac and Tarver as the lone survivors was initially very interesting to me but I have to admit that I was never pulled in by them on the romantic end, and as there was a lot of that in the book, this wasn't a 4 star read for me. I did like that we had both their points of view in the story & I did think the writing was well done but as characters neither one really captivated me. I liked the survival & voices as aspects of the story but somehow the resolutions were too clean, too soon & felt like stuff to pass time till the "romance" bit came back around. I can honestly say that by the time I'd reached the end, I was fine without not knowing what happens next for them. As I have begun the next book in the series already, I am glad that I'm not spending more time with Lilac and Tarver. I basically wanted more information on what sort of world Lilac & Tarver lived in before they crash landed. The world-building was thin and I needed more than tertiary mentions of things overall. I'm hoping for more information in the second book. I would recommend this to fans of YA romance with a dash of scifi (altogether this is scifi light but the physics bits were a decent & laudable attempt at bona fides). I'm reading the second already so I'm secure in saying that the writing is good and that I was given enough about the world that I want to know more.




No comments