Book Review: Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach



Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Publisher:  Orbit


Summary:  Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet. 
That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle. 


Devi is my new Kara Thrace. She’s quite the woman and handles her business but remains very relatable. I’m no where near an ass-kicking soldier but not only did I like her a lot, I understood her. She seems like a great chica to have a drink with & listen to her stories. I was rooting for her to attain her goal of joining the king’s Devestators even though I found her absolute enamored view of nobles, in general, short-sighted. The story moved at a good clip and that made it a page turning delight. I was completely invested in who or what Rupert was, and that thread was teased out very well in the story. I had to know as much as Devi (admittedly, I stil don’t know exactly, so I guess that’s what book two will tell). The rest of the Glorious Fool crew were well drawn and I especially enjoyed Novascape Starchild (Nova for short, btw. lol). Nova may have been my favorite crewmember but it’s a close call with aeon, Basil who calls all the humans “monkey” (tickled me to no end). Hyrek the ship’s doc who is also of an alien species that eat humans was also refreshing and very interesting. I found Captain Caldswell interesting but I don’t know how I feel as far as liking or not liking him. That’s not a problem for me as finding him interesting was by far more important. The world building was very well done and I look forward to reading the next installment.


No comments