Book Review: Stolen (Women of the Underworld #2) by Kelley Armstrong



Stolen by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Publisher: Plume Books

Summary:  It was in Bitten, Kelley Armstrong's debut novel, that thirty-year-old Elena Michaels came to terms with her feral appetites and claimed the proud identity of a beautiful, successful woman and the only living female werewolf.
In Stolen, on a mission for her own elite pack, she is lured into the net of ruthless Internet billionaire Tyrone Winsloe, who has funded a bogus scientific investigation of the "other races" and their supernatural powers. Kidnapped and studied in his underground lab deep in the Maine woods, these paranormals - witches, vampires, shamans, werewolves - are then released and hunted to the death in a real-world video game. But when Winsloe captures Elena, he finally meets his match.



I must say that this one was a little bit of a letdown from the first book. I honestly thought it was a sequel of sorts or at the least a continuation of Elena’s story as laid out it Bitten. While this book had Elena as our ever wry witted narrator it was very much a set up for the other supernatural beings’ stories in the series. As such, this isn’t going to be a favorite for me. I freely admit that I enjoy vampires, witches, fey, demons & various other supernatural sorts in limited dose and have to be in the mood for them to really love them. I keep them far & few between in my reading, still this was not a bad read. I did like the take on all of the other supernaturals even if I’m not inclined to actually read those books in this series. I’m still all in for Elena & the Pack.

That said, I liked the beginning & Elena’s voice is still clear. I did wish there was more with Clay & Jeremy but it was good to see how Elena fared when in isolation & under duress. I admit that I didn’t really care much about the other non-Pack characters but I distinctly disliked Paige, so there’s that. I don’t know how I feel about WInslow’s “fate” but I was certainly hoping for him to have a different end. I’m going to read Broken next because that’s Elena & Pack centric & I have Frostbitten on my desk as well, so my nonfangirling over this one has no bearing on my want to continue the series. I’d recommend this one to anyone who is interested in the entire series spanning all the supernaturals but not to anyone looking for an intensive Elena/Clay story.


No comments