Review: Hidden


Hidden
Hidden by Catherine McKenzie

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I’ve read all of Catherine McKenzie’s books so when I saw this one, I was definitely going to read it. It was a pretty quick read and the topic of marital infidelity was interesting. I can’t say that I loved any of the characters but they were interesting to follow. Jeff and his co-worker Tish are both married but we learn about their affair over the course of the book. I won’t spoil here but the thread of whether it was solely an emotional affair or had a physical component too was played well. I didn’t know what to believe but I liked the journey that Claire (Jeff’s wife) takes in reconciling what happened and finding peace with knowing or not. I didn’t agree with Claire’s sister Beth that not knowing for sure is better because I’m just a bit too pragmatic and prefer to deal with reality, unvarnished, but I saw her point and thought it was a worthy view to have and explained well. I must admit that I was feeling that this was going to be a solid three star read for me but the last 20% of the book and the epilogue especially, pushed me to a four star. I honestly didn’t see that coming and as I was surprised and it felt honest, I really liked it. I’d recommend this one for fans of the author or anyone looking for a good read while travelling or the weekend.




View all my reviews

No comments