Review: The Scarlet Contessa: A Novel of the Italian Renaissance


The Scarlet Contessa: A Novel of the Italian Renaissance
The Scarlet Contessa: A Novel of the Italian Renaissance by Jeanne Kalogridis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This was a very easy historical novel to get swept away in. From the start it drops you right into a dire situation which portends to only get worse for Caterina & is relayed to us by her closest attendant, Dea. I found Caterina an interesting woman. She had some aspects of her personality that were tough to love also she also displayed courage & steely determination. She was quite vivid & real & I loved watching her evolve throughout the book. For Dea's part, she was the anchoring heart of the story, for me. Her life winding along with Caterina's was fascinating to watch & though I figured out the twist of her marriage early on, I liked how that thread played out. I found that I really enjoyed the triumph cards & how they figured into Dea & Caterina's fates. I'm not too much for the supernatural aspect in my historical fiction but it really worked for me here. This was my first read by Kalogridis & I will happily read more of her works.



View all my reviews

No comments