Review: A Stranger in Mayfair


A Stranger in Mayfair
A Stranger in Mayfair by Charles Finch

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Good entry in series & perfect for a weekend or airport read. Charles Lenox is trying to settle into being newly married to Lady Jane Grey & his new seat at Parliament while being drawn into investigating a murder case involving footman Frederick bludgeoned with a brick in a Mayfair alley. I won't give away the answer to the case but I will say that I figured it out before the reveal. I don't think it was a flaw in the writing just good clues woven through & easy enough to work out if one pays attention. The way it all came together with the other strands regarding the killer & those others suspected was quite well done & I enjoyed reading it.

There was also a lot of Parliamentary politics as Charles settles in but it wasn't related to the case, so I basically enjoyed that we get to see Graham (former butler to Charles, now secretary) take on his new role & even impress his new peers. Lady Jane came off a bit odd to me as she was a bit of a harridan about Charles & his penchant for detecting & though married, she knew this was his thing before & she had no issue with it so I don't know why she was so stroppy about it. Anyway, she was brought back around entirely for me when she showed up at Charles's office with Bear & Rabbit, so I was satisfied.



View all my reviews

No comments