Review: Wolf Hall


Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



One of my favorite genres is historical fiction but the Tudor reign is not my absolute favorite time or place to immerse myself (Southern Europe, Egypt, House of Este, Borgias, Cleopatra, etc, is where I like most to linger). Even so, I have to say that this was a very engaging read. There's no need to rehash the main players here but I did find the take on the Thomases fairly addictive & fascinating. I must admit that like others, I had to get used to the "he" pronoun in the narration. I've not come across that device much (maybe I've seen it once before) but certainly not in so long a work. Once I got it, I felt it was a more personal way of existing with Thomas & it worked for me. I was really taken with the story & once I got about 60% in, I ended up reading all night to finish. I'll have to read "Bringing Up the Bodies" & won't leave it as long as I did this one.



View all my reviews

No comments